If you like a bit of heat with your hot dog, we’re sure that National Chili Dog day will get your mouth watering.
A delicious combination of a soft white bun, a classic hot dog, and chili sauce, what’s not to like about this tasty, classic treat?
Who invented the chili dog?
This is the million-dollar question!
No one can really agree on the inventor or the origins of the chili dog. Some people claim it was invented in the chili capital (Texas!), and others believe that the first chili dog was crated in southern Los Angeles at Art’s Famous Chili Dog Stand.
Those are two of the most popular theories but there are a few others as well. Some people like to say chili dogs were invented at a baseball game in New York.
Plus, to make matters even more confusing, there is a lot of debate about the origin of chili sauce as well.
When is National Chili Dog Day?
National Chili Dog Day falls on Thursday, 28th July 2022.
Chili dog variations across the United States
There are many different variations of the chili dog across the United States. So, let’s take a look at some of them:
- Coney Island Hot Dog – A Coney Island hot dog is enjoyed in southeastern Michigan. It is a European-style sausage of German origin, with a natural sheep or lamb casing, topped with a beef heart-based sauce. It was developed by Greek and Macedonian immigrants in the area. There are several location variations, including Jackson style, Flint style, and Detroit style.
- Half-Smoke – In Washington, D.C., the half-smoke is very much like a hot dog, yet it is typically spicier and bigger. The meat is more coarsely ground, with the sausage typically being half-beef and half-park. This meat is smoked and it is served with chili sauce, onion, and herbs.
- Carolina Style Hot Dog – In North Carolina, hot dogs are topped with onions, chili, and either slaw or mustard.
- Cheese Coney Hot Dog – In Greater Cincinnati, Coney Islands (without the cheese) or Cheese Coneys are hot dogs in buns that are topped with cheese, mustard, onions, and Cincinnati chili, which is a Greek-inspired meat sauce.
- Michigan Hot Dog – In the North Country of New York State, the “Michigan” or a Michigan hot dog is a hot dog that is steamed and served on top of a steamed bun, which is topped with a meaty sauce, typically known as the Michigan sauce.
- Hot Wiener – In Rhode Island, the New York System wiener or hot wiener is a staple of the food culture. The traditional version of this is a thin, small hot dog, which is made of pork and veal, giving it a taste that differs from the usual beef hot dog. This is served in a steamed bun, which is topped with a seasoned meat sauce, sliced onions, yellow mustard, and celery salt.
- Texas Wiener – In Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the Texas chili dog (or Texas Wiener or Texas hot dog) is a hot dog served with hot sauce or chili sauce. It can be enjoyed with a range of different condiments. This chili hot dog was created by Peter “George” Koufougeorgas in 1918 in Altoona, Pennsylvania. The reference to Texas is due to the chili sauce used on the hot dogs. It is considered a unique regional hot dog style.
What can you do on National Chili Dog Day?
There are plenty of different ways that you can celebrate National Chili Dog Day!
Why not make your own chili dog from scratch? Yes, we know; it requires a bit of effort, but it will be worth it. You could even get a few friends around and make your own chili dogs together.
If you don’t like the sound of making your own chili dog, don’t worry! The good news is that you can easily purchase them. Head down to a local food truck or order one online.
Or, why not make a day of it and visit an amusement park where you’re bound to have chili dogs on sale?
Enjoy National Chili Dog Day
So there you have it: everything you need to know about National Chili Dog Day!
If you’re a fan of this classic American treat, Chili Dog Day gives you the perfect excuse to tuck into one (or two). Not that we need a reason to enjoy this most satisfying food.
More from Articles
Can You Serve Hotdogs On Valentine’s Day?
On Valentine’s Day, we’re always told that we should serve something romantic. Aphrodisiacs include the likes of oysters, figs, chocolate, …
What Is A Red Hot Dog?
A hot dog is one of the most easily identifiable foods on the planet. It is an oblong shape, and …