Any time is hot dog time! And what better way to start your day than with good old wholesome breakfast hot dogs.
Although some believe that a hot dog should be reserved for brunch, lunch, or dinner, you can enjoy oneany time of the day, breakfast included.
There’s no one-size-fits-all approach for yummylicious (and wholesome) hot dogs. Let’s talk about some hot dog recipes that will tantalize your taste buds and get you ready to face the day.
Cheesy Hot Dog Scramble Recipe
If you’re always in a hurry in the morning and never seem to have time to make breakfast, you’ll like this quick-fix recipe that will be ready in ten minutes tops.
Here’s what you’ll need
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 hot dog
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot dog buns
- Add butter to a skillet over medium heat and leave it to melt
- Add onions and saute them for 5 minutes
- Add the hot dog and cook to heat it through
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper
- Lower the heat on the skillet and pour the eggs in
- Cook your eggs to your liking, sprinkle the cheese and serve hot on your hot dog bun
- For that added zing to your breakfast, add some hot sauce on top
Cheesy Bacon Hot Dog Recipe
Don’t you just love the words cheese and bacon in the same sentence? And what better way to enjoy these breakfast classics than on your breakfast dog.
For this one, you’ll need:
- Hot dog
- String cheese
- Thinly cut bacon slices
- Baking foil
- Cut your hot dogs in half lengthwise, creating a pocket. Be careful not to cut through the hot dogs
- Stuff each hot dog with string cheese
- Starting from one end of the hot dog, gently wrap around a slice of the bacon and completely cover the hot dog
- Place each hot dog on a square foil and wrap the foil around your breakfast dogs
- If you are grilling your hot dog, this recipe requires you to place the beef hot dogs directly on the grill
Turn them at regular intervals for an even cook until the cheese has melted and the bacon turns crispy. Cooking should take between 10 and 15 minutes on a grill
- If you’re baking your hot dogs in the oven, preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place your hot dogs on a wire rack over a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes
- Serve your hot dog on a bun sprinkled with cheese toppings and bacon strips to garnish
Ultimate Breakfast Hot Dog With Beans Recipe
This is a power-packed, nutritious and balanced breakfast dog. This hot dog has the mouth-watering meaty taste of the hot dog that blends well with the creamy flavor of the cheese. The mustard balances the flavors so well, creating a strong, rich breakfast meal.
Here’s what you’ll need to make your breakfast dogs:
- Hot dog buns
- Yellow mustard
- Baked Beans
- Hot dogs
- Cheddar cheese
- Chopped white onions
- Cooking spray
- Spread some mustard inside the split hot dog bun
- Add a hot dog and spoon three tablespoons full of baked beans
- Sprinkle cheese and onion
- Place on the sprayed baking tray
- Put the tray in the oven and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot and for added color, sprinkle some chives and garnish with parsley
Et voila, your ultimate creamy breakfast hot dog.
Mexican Inspired Breakfast Hot Dog Recipe
This Mexican breakfast is a family favorite. It is a simple dish of hot dogs and scrambled eggs, which can be topped with some fresh salsa or Pico de Gallo for that added flavor. To make this, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Hot dogs
- Diced onion
- Pico de Gallo
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add diced onions and hot dogs wrapped in bacon to the pan and fry hot dogs until they brown
- Place hot dogs into a bun, and arrange avocados on the sides
- Cover with Pico de Gallo and drizzle with mayonnaise
- Season with salt and pepper, and top with salsa to give it an extra wow
Pasta Hot Dog Breakfast Recipe
On a busy morning, a leftover breakfast is an easy way to get all the required nutrients and satisfy your taste buds in no time. Plus, when you’ve got a few hot dogs left over, you can put them to good use.
This pasta dish with hot dogs is the perfect switch from the bun. And to top it off, this recipe is popular with kids and adults alike. Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ pound leftover farfalle pasta
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- 4 hot dogs thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar
- Warm-up your leftover pasta
- In a bowl, beat eggs and sour cream until smooth. You can use egg whites instead if you are watching your cholesterol
- In a large pan, cook the egg mixture over medium heat for 3 minutes, with little moisture remaining
- Add your hot dogs and cook till they are heated through. This should take about 5 minutes. Stir your pasta into the egg mixture and stir in the shredded cheddar
- Garnish your dish to your preference with chives or any other herbs you can get your hands on.
Ham and Hot Dog Omelette Recipe
Omelets are at the top of the list of breakfast favorites, and adding hot dogs to the recipe will make for a scrumptious breakfast. To make this, you’ll need:
- 4 eggs
- 3 hot dogs, cubed
- 6 ounces ham, diced
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- In a skillet, heat the oil and add the ham and hot dogs
- Saute until heated through and set aside
- Add salt and pepper to taste. In a bowl, beat eggs and season. You can also add peppers, onion, and garlic to enhance the flavor
- Pour ¼ of your egg mixture into a skillet and top with ¼ of the ham and hot dog mixture
- Cook each side for 40 to 80 seconds and serve on a buttered bun
- Repeat the same process for the next omelet until you’ve used up all the egg mixture
Watch this video for another easy way to do it.
You can challenge your creativity and make adjustments to the recipes above to suit your preferences.
Get Your Day Off To A Good Start With Hot Dog Breakfast
For a healthy start to the day, you need fuel for your body and mind. Ideally, the recommended breakfast meal should be made up of food containing portions of fruit and vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy.
While you need to fill up on all the necessary nutrients to kickstart your day, there is no need to settle for a boring meal. A hot dog plate is just as healthy as the next meal, especially if you are mindful of your toppings.
Whether you prefer your hot dog boiled or grilled, plain or with condiments, you can make a balanced breakfast.
Without the toppings, a hot dog has 150 calories with close to 5 grams of protein content and an insignificant amount of carbs. So consider the nutrition information of the toppings you choose.
Plus, you can make healthier choices when it comes to your hot dog buns. Consider faux or vegetable buns if you’re going for a low-carb diet.
Take note of nutrition facts. And it always helps to consume your breakfast dogs in moderation. If you follow the daily target charts and read the packaging on your toppings, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.
Remember to pair your hot dogs with a healthy beverage that will make your taste buds do the cha-cha with every bite.
Do you want to find out more about fun, healthy recipes with hot dogs? Make Hotdog.org your favorite stop.
You’ll get more awesome hot dog recipes. If you’re on a Keto diet, don’t feel left out, you can still enjoy your hot dogs without messing up your ketosis. You’ll find some practical Keto hot dog recipes.